Monday 14 April 2014

Review: NEW Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipsticks (+Swatches)



So I went out today and came back with four new lipsticks. All I can say is that I NEED to stay away from priceline. In fact I am going to go on a makeup buying ban from now on.

These lovely lippies are Buy One Get One (BOGO) at priceline till the 26th of March. The usual retail price is $13.95 AUD. Not bad for a drugstore lipstick though slightly higher than the average $9.95 AUD lipstick. I think it's because these are a fancy new formulation oOoOooh! 

Rimmel has added new colours to their range and here in Australia they have fun English names which I think are great. I say in Australia as the shades have different names in other countries. The colours are gorgeous and there are a wide variety of shades to choose from.
You can view the 12 shades available HERE 

Claims: Maximum colour. Lips feel up to 70% more hydrated and up to 60% smoother! SPF 20, Vitamins A, C and E for protected lips.

Packaging: In my opinion they are bulky but I still like them cause I have no purple packaged lippies in my collection. They are sturdy and look nice.



Swatches L-R: Two swipes. Notting Hill Nude (720), Heather Shimmer (220), Piccadilly Pink (150) and In Love with Ginger (660). Top: Natural lighting, Bottom: With flash.



Bare Lips:  My lips were a bit dry so they might look a little janky, sorry! But good for testing out these lipsticks right? :P

Lip swatches (T-B): Notting Hill Nude (720), Heather Shimmer (220), Piccadilly Pink (150) and In Love with Ginger (660). All taken indoors with natural lighting.

Colour descriptions:

  • Notting Hill Nude (720):
Pale pinky nude with some beige that would be nice on most skin tones. I'm quite tan (nc40)and it looks alright on me. Would look amazing with dark smokey bedroom eyes.
  • Heather Shimmer (220): 
A browny pink, not too dark. This one makes me look more mature. Would be good for the office and darker ladies.
  • Piccadilly Pink (150): 
Blue based medium-lightish pink. I don't know why I bought this, I don't really wear pink lipsticks since I don't think they suit me. This one is ok on me?
  • In Love with Ginger (660):
 Bright coral orange. Really fun, colour. If you build it up it looks more red-orange. I was hoping it would be more orange than coral red but it's still a great colour for spring/summer.

My opinion: 
Good pigmentation, one layer is enough to add decent coverage to my pigmented lips. Though if you want a bolder lip colour you might feel the need to add more than one layer. I feel like if you look at my lips closely you can still see the dry areas. They were moisturizing though not in the revlon lip butter kind of way but a vaseline way. As you can see in the pictures they give off a glossy finish. 

These did feel a bit slippery and I was worried that the colour might slide off. Although it didn't, it did transfer very easily. I wish these were a thicker formula like the Kate Moss range (which I LOVE) but then again these are sold as moisturizing lipsticks and makes no claims on longevity. These had an ok-ish wear, not long lasting but the colour stays on. If you eat you definitely need to touch up.

These sat comfortably on my lips though I did blot my lips with a tissue (which I recommend). I also suggest you exfoliate and line your lips beforehand. I also found patting some translucent powder onto my lips made them last longer.Unfortunately these lipsticks did not have a sweet candy-like smell instead they strongly smell and taste like sunscreen. So not yummy :S

Would I buy these again? Peronally, no. I prefer thicker, creamier lipsticks but if you are someone who likes thinner, moisturizing, glossy, lipsticks then you should check these out.

Overall grade: 6.8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment